Monday, October 14, 2024

Grandma's Garden by Jaimmie Stugard

 

Grandma’s Garden

By Miss Jaimmie

 

            When I was young, I would spend weeks at a time visiting my grandma in her small town. Having one-on-one time away from the city and the siblings was always a special treat. I fondly recall listening to Young and the Restless on the radio in the mornings while we prepared for a day of rummaging, visiting the library and gardening. Grandma’s house was small and cozy, but her garden was immense and flourishing.  Filled with herbs, flowers, fairy homes, veggies, berries and treasures, grandma’s garden was a peaceful, wonderland.  I especially loved when she sent me out to gather raspberries (my favorite food to this day).  She had to laugh when, after spending a good deal of time harvesting the fruits, I would come back with few berries, a full belly and pink fingers. 

Years ago, when we bought our home, we went back to work in grandma’s garden, dividing flowers and herbs and bringing them home to grow in our little city garden. Nearly 17 years later, grandma’s heirloom echinacea, columbine, lemon balm, thyme and countless other plants thrive in our yard, year after year. Nowadays, grandma doesn’t get around as well anymore. So, grandpa tends the garden. There are fewer flowers and more rutabagas and potatoes.  On pleasant mornings, grandma sits in her gazebo overlooking the garden, enjoying the birds, blooms and the butterflies in the sunshine. 


        While I can’t claim to have inherited my grandparents’ green thumb, I still enjoy spending time in the garden. And, when I see the children harvesting raspberries in LifeWays’ garden, I am reminded of those wholesome (and delicious!) memories of my childhood in grandma’s garden.




No comments:

Post a Comment