Sunday, January 17, 2016

Something New from the Kitchen by Jeremy Bucher





Something New from the Kitchen
By Mister Jeremy

            I frequently search food websites for new recipes that I can try out for the children at LifeWays. I only have a few sandwich recipes in my catalogue so I decided to search for a few recipes that I could make a lot of in a short time. I discovered this veggie burger recipe and chose to try it out in the next month or so. I have been adding curry to both the quinoa and the lentils that I serve as a part of several different meals. The children seem to enjoy the flavor and I think these burgers will be an excellent addition to our Monday meals here at LifeWays.

Curry-Spiced Veggie Burgers
·         1/2 cup plain Yogurt (or soy or coconut yogurt substitute)
·         1/2 teaspoon Curry powder
·         Coarse Salt
·         1 teaspoon Lime juice
·         1 - 15oz. can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
·         2 Scallions, finely chopped
·         3/4 cup cooked Basmati Rice
·         3 tablespoons shredded Carrot
·         2 tablespoons Breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
·         2 tablespoons chopped Cilantro

1.      In a small bowl, combine yogurt, curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lime juice. Let sit for 15 minutes
2.      In a food processor, pulse chickpeas, scallions and 1/2 teaspoon salt until a chunky paste forms.
3.      In a large bowl, combine chickpea mixture, rice, carrots, breadcrumbs, cilantro and 2 tablespoons of yogurt mixture.

4.      Form into patties and cook until lightly golden and heated through, about 4 minutes per side.





No comments:

Post a Comment