Monday, June 24, 2019

Happy Waking by Destiny Skubis


Happy Waking         




It’s 2:50 p.m. Nap time is soon coming to an end, though they each lay so still, so peacefully. I beg for time to stand still, and for a moment it feels my wish is granted; I admire the whole room, the soft magenta darkness, the warmth, each child so tenderly held in their covers, untouched, they are each so perfect.
“Let a sleeping baby lie” I tell myself, trying to beware of my awakening energy and their sweet slumber...the room shares a breath in unison.
We linger in a state of waking restfulness until the afternoon light calls me to open the curtains. I see the children will not stir until I do, so gently, and a bit gingerly, I start to move about.
I desire for them to wake as quietly and softly as they went to sleep. My fondest memories from childhood are being woken by my mother with thoughtfulness; I remember her touch, her smell, the quietness she brought to waking me. It was a treat to wake up even if I did (and sometimes still do) it begrudgingly.
It is here in this moment I am reminded how intention, consideration, and pausing can be a blessing for us all.
I hope every day you can find a moment to linger in, to soak in the sweetness, to cherish the little time they are so small.

Happy Waking,
Ms. Destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment